Commercial FAQ’s
I am a one person corporation. Do I need to carry workers compensation insurance on myself?

Yes. According to Massachusetts State Law you are an employee of the corporation and are subject to the workers compensation laws.

I am a sole proprietor. Do I have to carry workers compensation insurance?

No. Sole proprietors, partners in a partnership, and members of an LLC are not subject to the workers compensation laws. If you do however need to carry the coverage for certificate of insurance purposes you do have the ability to opt in for coverage.

I use my auto in business. Am I required to carry a business auto insurance policy instead of a personal auto insurance policy?

Generally you are not required to carry a business auto policy if you use your vehicle in the course of your business. A business use class can be put on your personal lines auto policy to cover the business use exposure. However, if the vehicle is owned by a commercial entity such as a corporation it would require a business auto policy. The weight and use of the vehicle may also make require you to obtain a business auto policy to properly cover your exposures.

I received an audit request from my insurance company. What does this mean?

Many businesses have their premium based on payroll or annual sales. Companies will audit the payroll or sales at the end of the policy period to determine the correct premium charge. Depending on what figures were used when the policy was issued the audit may result in an additional or a return premium.

How may I obtain a duplicate registration?

Log onto the Mass RMV website (www.massrmv.com). You may then go to the duplicate registration section in the Transaction Page and order a duplicate online. You may also call the RMV Telephone Center (857-368-8000) and a representative will process your transaction. To complete the transaction you will need a MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card.

My green registration plate is faded. How do I get a new one?

If you have a single green plate you may not order a replacement. If the plate is not legible, you must obtain red and white “Spirit of America” plates. You may go to any full service RMV center to complete this transaction.

I did not receive a new plate decal with my registration renewal. What should I do?

Call the RMV telephone center (857-368-8000) and a representative will mail a decal to you.

I have a leased vehicle and did not receive my new registration certificate or plate decal after renewing. What should I do?

Since you lease your vehicle, check with your leasing company to see if they received the certificate and decal.

How do I obtain a Disability Placard or Disability Plates?

You must be medically qualified to receive a plate or placard. More information can be found on the Medical Affairs section of the RMV website.

What do I need to include in a bill of sale for a motor vehicle?

A bill of sale must have the following information:

  1. Name, signature, and address of the buyer
  2. Name, signature, and address of the seller
  3. Date of purchase
  4. Purchase price
  5. Identification information (VIN, make, model, and year)
Is there a grace period for transferring a registration?

If you own a vehicle and purchase a new vehicle from a dealer or a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle. Under this grace period the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • The newly acquired vehicle must be the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle
  • You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
  • You must have lost possession or disposed of your previous vehicle
  • The registration plates must be attached to the new vehicle
How do I get a duplicate license?

If you have a photo-imaged license, you may request a duplicate via the RMV website (www.massrmv.com) or calling the RMV telephone center (857-368-8000)

I have not received my new license who do I talk to?

Please call the RMV Telephone Center (857-368-8000) and a representative will assist you.

Auto FAQ’s
What coverages am I required to carry for auto insurance?

According to Massachusetts State Law you are required to carry liability coverage. On the auto policy these coverages would be parts 1,2,3,4,5 &12. If you have a loan on your vehicle the bank will require that you carry full Collision & Comprehensive coverage as well.

What Information do I need if I am involved in an accident?

If you are involved in an accident it is very important to obtain the other parties information who is also involved in an accident. The information you need to obtain is the other person’s registration/license plate number and their drivers license. If the other person is not forth coming with this information we recommend contact the police so they can obtain the information for you and write a report which will be helpful in the claims process.

My auto policy is in cancellation what do I do?

If your auto policy is in cancellation the company will issue a cancellation notice to you with a date that payment must be received by. If payment is received after this date the company has the right to keep the policy cancelled and not offer reinstatement. If your policy does cancel for non-payment per Massachusetts Law you will be required to pay the new auto policy premium in full.


Example: Policy cancellation date of 5/4/2015. This cancellation goes into effect at 12:01 am on 5/4/2015 so your payment must be made before midnight on 5/3/2015. If you try to make payment the morning of 5/4/2015 to our office it has already been cancelled and may not be reinstated

How can I change coverage on my Auto Policy?

If you are looking to add additional coverage to your auto policy you can contact the office via telephone or email and request coverage be added by your customer service representative. If you wish to remove coverage our office will need something in writing giving your permission to remove the coverage. No coverage change is official until you receive confirmation from your customer service representative.

How can I save money on my insurance policies?

With the cost of insurance rising the carriers are constantly adding new discounts. A key way to save money on your insurance premiums is to package both your home & auto policy with the same carrier. Some carriers offer group discounts for different group affiliations. This information can be provided by your customer service representative.

What is Accident Forgiveness?

Most carriers now offer an accident forgiveness endorsement which will allow for you not be penalized for your 1st at fault accident in the past 6 years. If you have an accident and have this coverage you will not pay the surcharge on your policy as long as you stay with the same carrier. The surcharge will be in the registry of motor vehicles on your driving record so if you change carriers then you would be subject to the surcharge.

Homeowner Insurance FAQ’s
What property and perils are excluded from most homeowner policies?

Most homeowner policies provide coverage that does not apply to animals, birds, fish, automobiles and business property; for loss or damage caused by flood, surface water, water which backs up through sewers or drains, earth movement, nuclear damage, war, etc. Section II coverages (personal liability and medical payments) do not apply to the operation, ownership, use, etc., of any aircraft, automobile, recreational motor vehicle, water craft powered by more than 50 horsepower motor; bodily injury or physical damage caused by an intentional act of the insured. It must be noted that these are a mere sample of property and perils not covered. A complete review of your policy is the only way to determine what property is covered and what perils are insured against. Also, there are specific limits of coverage on property insured under the homeowner’s policy such as money, securities, water craft, theft of jewelry, silverware, and/or guns.

Why does my policy show a limit for 'Other Structures' when I do not have any other structures?

The homeowner policy is a package policy designed over 50 years ago and those that designed it felt everyone should get for free:  10% Other Structures; 30% Contents; 20% Loss of Use; $100,000 Bodily Injury to Others and $1,000 Medical Payments to Others.  There is no premium charge for these coverages- only for MORE coverage- and there is no way to remove the coverage.

Our sump pump failed and the insurance company is denying our claim because the water backed up through our sewers. Can they do this?

Most insurance policies exclude water damage from water that backs up through sewers or drains. You may wish to contact your agent and inquire about putting an endorsement on your policy, which would cover sewer back up.

During a storm, a tree from my neighbor’s yard fell and destroyed my fence. Does my homeowner’s policy pay for the damage or does my neighbor’s policy?

Generally, your own policy should cover the loss. Your insurance company may be able to recover the amount it pays you for the loss and your deductible from the homeowners insurance that your neighbor may have if the loss occurred as a result of your neighbor’s negligence.

Doesn't my condo association carry enough insurance to take care of me?

When you live in a condo or co-op apartment, you enjoy many of the advantages of home ownership, but you don’t actually own the building that you live in. As a result, home insurance for condo and co-op owners is different from homeowners insurance. A specialized form of homeowners insurance, called HO-6, addresses the needs of condo owners. There is a master policy held by the Condo Association or Co-op Board that generally covers the building and its common areas in case of covered losses. However, as a condo owner, you need insurance to protect your personal property from fire, lightning, explosion, storms, vandalism and theft and more. These are just a few of the named perils (specific risks) typically covered by an HO-6 policy. These coverages protect your personal belongings in the event of loss. As a condo owner, you also need to insure improvements you may have made to the structure of your unit, like private entry ways, garages, additions, balconies, and specialized fixtures. If these were not part of the original structure of your unit, then these improvements should be covered by your condo insurance policy to properly protect your investment. Note that master policies differ from condo association to condo association. Be sure to know exactly what is covered by the master policy, and make sure that your HO-6 coverage takes care of the rest.

Give us a call today at 781-337-0427, or visit us at 17 Front Street in Weymouth if you want to talk about your home insurance.

Personal Insurance

Business Insurance


Contact Us


Our Location

Address: 440 Washington St. Suite 101 Weymouth, MA 02188
Phone: (781)-337-0427
Email: agent@cgjordaninsurance.com

Follow Us

Font Resize