How may I obtain a duplicate registration?

Log onto the Mass RMV website (www.massrmv.com). You may then go to the duplicate registration section in the Transaction Page and order a duplicate online. You may also call the RMV Telephone Center (857-368-8000) and a representative will process your transaction. To complete the transaction you will need a MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card.

My green registration plate is faded. How do I get a new one?

If you have a single green plate you may not order a replacement. If the plate is not legible, you must obtain red and white “Spirit of America” plates. You may go to any full service RMV center to complete this transaction.

I did not receive a new plate decal with my registration renewal. What should I do?

Call the RMV telephone center (857-368-8000) and a representative will mail a decal to you.

I have a leased vehicle and did not receive my new registration certificate or plate decal after renewing. What should I do?

Since you lease your vehicle, check with your leasing company to see if they received the certificate and decal.

How do I obtain a Disability Placard or Disability Plates?

You must be medically qualified to receive a plate or placard. More information can be found on the Medical Affairs section of the RMV website.

What do I need to include in a bill of sale for a motor vehicle?

A bill of sale must have the following information:

  1. Name, signature, and address of the buyer
  2. Name, signature, and address of the seller
  3. Date of purchase
  4. Purchase price
  5. Identification information (VIN, make, model, and year)

Is there a grace period for transferring a registration?

If you own a vehicle and purchase a new vehicle from a dealer or a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle. Under this grace period the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • The newly acquired vehicle must be the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle
  • You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
  • You must have lost possession or disposed of your previous vehicle
  • The registration plates must be attached to the new vehicle

How do I get a duplicate license?

If you have a photo-imaged license, you may request a duplicate via the RMV website (www.massrmv.com) or calling the RMV telephone center (857-368-8000)

I have not received my new license who do I talk to?

Please call the RMV Telephone Center (857-368-8000) and a representative will assist you.